Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Hopi Prayer

(I found on a different webpage a slightly different version of the poem I had previously posted as "Grieve Not" by Mary Frye. I am not sure which version is the official one, so I thought I would post them both.)

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there, I did not die.

- Mary Frye

1 comment:

LCC said...

Thanks, Katelyn. It's been a weird day already because I wrote a comment to Caitlin W. thinking her blog was yours so I addressed it to you. Now I'm checking to make sure whether the name starts with K or C.

Thanks for the poem--remind me to have you read it in class.